+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dave McM shop day

Hybrid View

Thanks guys!
    I told Dad to clean out around the G4 orange 109 with the Defender hinges full roof rack and spare tire holder that has been occupying the Lift for the past almost 10 years. He spent a day gathering stuff and relocating. Ever have one of those projects that was just that close but unattainable due to ......? I think we've all had one! I haven't told him I have a plan to help finish it yet. His biggest stumbling block is electrics. I call him David "Tesla" McMullan due to his uncanny ability to create sparks and let out factory installed smoke. He already purchased a new fuel rail, all four injectors, tank, hose, filter, everything, including frame! His biggest issue is the two man parts (Bleeding brakes, installing parking break, clutch slave bleeding) and the "damn Dash is torn apart". I think the electrics are the stumbling block.
    If we can get this brightly colored Series off the lift we can all use it for our own projects again as needed, suspension lifts, upgrades, tire/wheel changes, frame changes, etc.
    Someone with an electrical meter, a few hours, a little common sense, an electrical knowledge could probably have this running really good in no time at all.
    My Dad spared no expense, everything is new, it just needs finished.
    Help is appreciated!
    Food and drink of your choice on me!

Lyle,

I can't make it down for the Trials due to a family event, but am definitely interested in chipping in on your dad's project. Let me know when you set a date.

I can definitely help with the electrical effort and love to tinker with diesels. I do have a bench tester for injectors, not sure you need that as it sounds like you have a new set and can help with the injection pump, etc if needed. I also have both a vacuum bleeder and a pressure bleeder (I find to be the better option on my Series) to help with the brakes and the clutch.

Steve B.
    '73 SIII 88 Pick-up

Do we have a date?
    1951 S1 80 * 2 - 1955 S1 86 - 1956 S1 86 - 1957 S1 107SW - 1958 S1 88
    1966 SIIa 109 - 1966 SIIa 88 - 1967 IIb FC - 1968 109 "Pink Panther"
    1974 SIII - 1984 110 - 1997 D90
    1987 RRC, 1991 D1, 1997 D1, 2002 D2
    2011 LR4 - 2018 D5 TD6
    This is getting out of hand.....

Yea???? Let's get this party started!!!!!!!!

Hello! Yes, sorry, been working nights.
    Let's do the weekend April 16th & 17th.
    It'll be one of the work days but if we get a jump start the weekend before on the first work weekend we'll be fine. I really appreciate the help! I'm sure my Dad will too.

Lyle,

I plan to come-up on the 17th and will bring the following:

1) my bleeder kits, fluid and tools for the brakes and clutch slave. Let me know if any parts/bits/lines are needed ..I'm happy to supply those, as well.
    2) My multimeter and shoes with thick rubber soles for insulation while working on the electrical stuff!

It sounds like you have coverage on the injectors, etc.. ... I'll let others weigh in on what they plan to bring and we can sort out what we want to get completed and tools/parts needed to ensure we can get those things sorted out.

Steve B.
    '73 SIII 88 Pick-up

Hello Steve! Yes, David "Tesla" McMullan the electrical wiz he is is not allowed to hold AA batteries by the terminal ends for fear of electrocution! Electrical is his weakest point I think. With his work being about 25% electrical, (oil burners for home heating) I spend every chance I get helping him helping his customers instead of him on his projects. He will be 72 years old on May 5th this year. No plans for retirement, nor more education! Help is obviously appreciated. I'll be trail building the next few weekends so we have something fun to drive!
    Thanks again, Lyle

Default Shop Day

So, is it for sure this Saturday April 9th?

Tom

Default Shp Day

OK, further reading and I see you are targeting the following weekend.

Thanks,

Tom

I know I proposed early April and have managed to watch my availability evaporate. Motorweek is supposed to come on the 17th to film a 110 for a segment on old cars in modern times. It is weather dependent.
    I'm a maybe for the 16th and the 17th
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

+ Reply to Thread