+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum vs email vs mail

Default Forum vs email vs mail

Well....
    Three ? years ago I tried to get the newsletter in only PDF format. 1) I did a bad job of it, 2) lots of folks didn't get email and 3) it was before it's time.

Let's start this discussion here. I do like getting real mail, I like the forum, I hate yahoo groups but understand the attraction.

Go.
    1966 109 SW The Short Bus

Real mail is cool, I like old fashioned ways of thinking... BUT I think that there are enough members logging onto the forum to have it downloaded instead.
    Now, I think that Galen is doing an outstanding job with the newsletters and postcards, however, since I'm fairly new, I had no idea the expense the club was shelling out to do so. As a business owner I look at that as money that could be spent elsewhere....ie, to possibly secure more real estate for the club, hold events that can attract other Rover owners who "had no idea this exsisted" attitudes, that's a hefty lump of change to be "throwing away".
    I realise that not everyone in the club logs on a daily or monthly(some maybe yearly?) basis, but maybe an evaluation of those that are current and not so current, and provide a solution for that scenario.
    As I'm typing this, you guys probably already have been through this, so maybe this is one more thing "fish" boy can poke fun at me with, I dunno.
    Just my .02. would love to help if needed, and can even make coffe...However NOT nearly as effective as Stuart, we need to set up HQ. at his house, I don't have a commercial cappacino/expresso machine at my place

I don't have an issue if we stopped mailing the newsletter and announcments and stuck with the website/forum/email. The only thing I think should be mailed out would be things like proxies for the annual group meeting. Sean if you don't like yahoo groups is transfering the email list to the same site that hosts the website a possibility? The search and rescue group I'm a member of has a couple of email lists associated with it that are not yahoo based. Do we know how many members use the web/email versus regular mail?

I think we are foolish if we do not use this site for all that we can. It is pretty well established at this point and honestly, what percentage of our membership does not have access to the net?

That said, if there is a small contingent hell-bent on getting the newsletter mailed, why not charge a subscription fee for the printed material. It will not only off-set production and mailing costs, but assuming that the number of people who do request a hard copy will be relatively small, it will mean much less work for Galen. I think he spends as much time putting the newsletter together as he does printing and preparing them for mailing. Moreover, if the newsletter goes PDF, it will mean FULL COLOR and unlimited copy and ad space. It will look like a regular magazine-style publication, but will simply be a digital version.

However, if the plan really is to make this site the only source of communication for the club, I would think that perhaps it might need to be tweaked to bring greater attention to major announcements, up-coming events, the newsletter and the like.
    "QQ Rover" -- 1962 Series IIa 88"

There are roughly 118 members on the yahoo group e-mail list. Some are not current members, and about half are expired. We have about 150 current members, not including extended family. We have many more expired members. Every month I send out at least 50 renewal notices. We do add new members every month, more than expired or deleted members that I drop off, so we are still growing. The forum, I believe, is the preferred medium for new members, however,

I feel the newsletter is very important for three reasons:

It sets our club apart from just a message board gathering.

It is a tangible, physical "thing" that represents the club that people like to get. There is no-one that doesn't like getting it and seeing their truck, or their mug, or their friend pictured or mentioned.

We have sponsors that we are responsible to represent.

And one more reason, Galen loves doing it!

Jason has a good point about the physical-ness of a newsletter. I enjoy actually printed materials as well.

The yahoo email thing is just too old-school for me, this forum is much better.

Well, it sounds as though most prefer mail, of some sort. So what could be done differently to help offset the cost of the newsletters/postcards. I also agree that Galen likes to do the work, that's the impression I always felt. So, any ideas.
    We could hold a public chop shop...laugh all you want to, but what if we found a clapped out Rangie with some good bits for REAL cheap( I happen to know of one), chopped it for parts and listed on ebay for profit and used those funds. Members could have a CHOP day and donate some time, most of you already know how fast a Rangie comes apart so....that's just ONE of my delusional ideas, anyone else? You can all laugh if you so desire.....

Actually, we've already pared the cost down significantly by buying our own high end printer that Galen uses. We don't have to pay a printer to deliver the same high quality feel that we can get on our own, but the ink and postage is expensive. We no longer send newsletters to anyone 6 months or more overdue on membership, and with the next newsletter we will also be billing our ads. My goal is to have advertising cover the costs of production, and postage will continue to be a general club expense. We need more articles and contributions from members, including buildups, restorations, trail-rides, and such. Someday, I'd also like to see the editor-publisher-distributor-printer be compensated for time spent. It does take time to put together something as professional and slick as Galen does.
    Last edited by jason; 01-20-2007 at 02:13 PM.

In that case, I can start submitting articles of projects that come into the shop. I'm sure someone would like to see a 300 tdi fitted into a Rangie, or a series(it's tight). I'm not a "service" facility, so I can't provide lists of services like so other mags do etc, maybe we could talk Trevor into that. But for the odd stuff and custom suspension work etc, I'd gladly submit my work, does that help. I'll also pay to advertise as well, I do prefer that word of mouth be my best advertisement, it's true that most(if not all, actually) have not seen any of my work. I'm sure I can also get some others involved in that aspect. A good friend of mine runs OK 4WD and Tire in Stewartsville NJ, I'm trying to work out deals with them for tyres and I'm sure they would advertise as well.

OK 4WD is the only dedicated 4X4 shop near me. I got my tires installed there. Good guys. Advertising is $100 a year (4 issues) for a half page ad. I would love to see a TDI put into a RRC! Too bad I didn't know you two years ago!

+ Reply to Thread