+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head gasket plunge

Default Head gasket plunge

As many of you know I have blown a gasket ... couldn't resist!

Yes, my head gasket is blown and before I start surgery I was wondering if anybody who had been down this road had any advice? I am hoping to try and order all the parts I might need beforehand so i can work at my pace and not at the pace of the postal service.

Would appreciate any hints y'all might have.

Default head gasket plunge

First and foremost you need the landrover bible, read carefully to become familiar with the process, tools required, disassembly ,repair and reassembly.If you want to have the parts in hand, then most likely a decoke kit will be all you need. However, sometimes there are surprises that are unforeseen. You may need as little as a head gasket and manifold gaskets, it all depends on the failed part and how far you wish to go when apart. jim

The biggest headache I have found when doing this (disclosure: on other flavor vehicles) is snapping or stripping of manifold bolts. Usually exhaust as they are cooked, literally.

Get a can of PB blaster or similar and spray the you know what out of all fasteners that look like they may cause problems. Start a few days or even a week or so before beginning surgery.
    1964 SII-a 88" NAS "Hannibal"
    My loverly bride:"I said ROLLER not ROVER."

Have already started PBing the bolts. Got a well-used Green Bible, but unfortunately the entire book is written based on a person doing repairs in a Land Rover shop, having all the parts and gear needed right at hand.

I'm leaving for Iraq in a month and don't have the time to get it pulled apart, discover I need some freakish gasket or seal I can only get through Solihull, and then wait for it to come through parcel post.

Really I'm just hoping for some experience suggestions like; if you're gonna pull it apart, might as well do 'x.'

Dave

I would almost be sure that you could get a head cylinder gasket kit..... Which would include most everything you'd need..... I've gotten a couple for the 6 cyl. form RN and Wise Owl... That is if it's no more than pulling the head and replacing the gasket.

Gasket set decarbonising.... RTC3335 2.25 petrol <--- SIII parts catalogue

While the head is off, take it down to a machine shop to have it checked for plain to see if it's in need of resurfacing.

I generally take a putty knife or something of the sorts to scrape about on the carbon while using a vacuum and rags to guard any open ports and such...

Before hand I like to check that the bolts are not bottoming out and that the threads are in decent shape. In addition smear a tad of anti-seeze on the bolts on assembly, this will help holding the head down evenly when it's torque....

Oh and in jest !!! Will advise due "caution" for this is how it started with mine and fell prey to shipbuilders disease..... Went to replace a head gasket and one leaking hub seal and next thing I realized, was down to a bare frame.

Best of luck with the rover and well wishes of a safe return on up coming duties over seas

Dave <---- New guy on board.....

74 SIII sw
    00 SII

I've ordered the parts, kit and all. And Dave, it's funny, but you started with exactly what I am; a head gasket and a leaking seal! I started tearing down last night and it's going smoothly ... no snapped bolts or anything so far (fingers crossed). I've snapped a great deal of photos and am following the Bible verbatim so hopefully once it's all torn down I'll be able to get it all back together without any bolts left over!

Tear down complete ... rebuild begins tomorrow when parts arrive. Nothing unexpected, although the head bolts were amazingly tight! Part I'm concerned with is that the gasket, although worn and slightly burned in between three and four, didn't have any apparent rips or tears like I was expecting.

The cylinder head was somewhat charred at number 4, which cleaned easily. All of the areas surrounding that cylinder head though, and the spot where I figured I had a leak, were carbon-covered and sooty, even the base plate of the carb.

Considering my options, and time on hand, I decided that once parts arrive I'll complete the installation of the gaskets and the carb rebuild and hope for the best. When I head down range in a month I need the truck in one piece, running or not, as she'll be getting shipped to Anchorage along with the rest of our gear.

I figure if it wasn't a head gasket and it is something else I'll just have to rip the whole thing out anyway and I don't have time to accomplish that before I leave.

More to follow on this though, thanks for all the tips and advice. Once I get her back together and either a) get her started or b) cry because I didn't I'll let y'all know!

Anchorage? Like alaska? Fur whut?
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

Alaska....knew somebody that moved there.....they spent the next ten years trying to get OUT!
    1964 SII-a 88" NAS "Hannibal"
    My loverly bride:"I said ROLLER not ROVER."

Alaska is one of those places ... you love or hate it. My wife was born and raised there and the military sent me up there for three years ... and I've been spending all my time since trying to get back!

+ Reply to Thread