+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serendipity for Wille the Freelander

Thumbs up Serendipity for Wille the Freelander

Since no one ever posts about Freelanders I might as well (and perhaps I am the only owner of one in the club) Everyone knows about the Freelander front brake problem and my brakes were overdue for a change. I was told when I had it inspected and also at my last service for scheduled maintenance that they were pretty bad. It was making the squealing sound and shaking a bit when stopping, it was time. So, on Monday during lunch I was just about to pick up the telephone and call the dealer and set up an appointment to have the front pads and rotors changed, when for some strange reason I decided to check my personal email. I saw a message from Atlantic British that said "tired of paying high prices for dealer brake service on your Freelander( I was), want better performance (yes) and longer brake life (sure) then buy EBC brakes and do it yourself. On sale now." I mean things like this happern for a reason.

I called Atlantic British and ordered the EBC brakes. That night I also bought a Freelander shop manual and downloaded it on line. ($20.00) It has over 900 pages of information and you just plot out what you want. The next day I had to travel to Spokane, WA and when I got back in the office on Friday, my package from Atlantic British was sitting on my floor. (along with my package from Lands End) On Friday night I printed out all the pages from the manual I would need. I also bought a disk brake spreader for $7.00 at a local auto parts store.

On Saturday afternoon I installed the brakes, the first set took one and a half hours and the second set took 45 minutes. Anyway the point is the car runs great, no shaking or shuddering when I stop. Much smoother at speed. It even accelerates faster because the front wheels don't shake.

All in all I saved about $200.00 based on dealer prices from Dec 2005 when I had the same thing done. So, I saved a bit of money, but I think I made an improvement over the factory brakes.
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

cool beans and good for you for doing them youself. Brakes, Disk anyway, are some of the easiest things you can do at home I think. Drum brakes take some getting used to but are home doable also.

Now bring that Freelander to the next Trials event and play with us.
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

he's rebuilding a series too - of course so far it looks perfect, so we'll see what he brings out
    1966 109 SW The Short Bus

Default Freelander Trials Vehicle

"Now bring that Freelander to the next Trials event and play with us."

Maybe when Wille gets older he can become a trials vehiiiiicle!! (Of course, by then I will be too old for trials.) I wonder what modifications would be needed to make a Freelander into a competive trials contender, I have heard the ground clearance is too low for starters. Maybe some heavier shocks are in order.
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

You're right about the front brakes being a problem with the Freelander - needing replacement so often. But nobody ever congratulates it for having amazing rear brakes. My mom's Freelander has over 90k on the original rear brake shoes - they have outlasted two engines!

Default Freelander on Trail

Freelanders make fine trail vehicles. I followed one in my Series truck last outing and he only got hung up on ground clearance one time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	freelander.JPG‎
Views:	309
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	366  
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One 109
    Sterling, VA 20165

+ Reply to Thread